Monday, November 21, 2011

Welcome!

Welcome to PS 250's Art Studio Blog. Let me introduce myself and my artists....

I am the art teacher, Ms. Westerberg, and I am in my fourth year at the school. Before coming to PS 250, I was in the graduate program at Teachers College, where I received my Masters in Art and Art Education.

                                                 Me as a Kindergartener...I have always loved art!


Our school is in the East Williamsburg section of Brooklyn. We have about 750 students, mainly from Hispanic and Asian descent (a vast majority of our students are immigrants or from families of immigrants). Because of the diverse backgrounds our students come from, there are many exciting opportunities for integrating their heritage into school projects (especially the arts!). Also, we recently received a Magnet grant so we are now a Magnet School for Communications and Media Arts. Our Arts team includes myself (Visual Arts), as well as a music teacher, Ms. Michalina Trucker, and a drama teacher, Mrs. Deena Cassidy. We also have many enrichment programs that come into the school. During the past three years, we had a partnership with Studio In A School and were part of the Collaborative Community Initiative (http://studioinaschool.org/programs_cc.php), which meant our school was a model site for integrating the Blueprint for Visual Arts (the NYC Visual Arts Standards) into the school's curriculum.


As a way of sharing with parents, the school community, and the arts education community at large, I will be posting projects as we work on them. Check back frequently to see what our student artists create next!

No comments:

Post a Comment